Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Colleagues

I write an awful lot about me, myself and my students in my blog, and occasionally I mention the “other teachers” who are my colleagues in the summer program. One of the blessings of being here is the other people I work with who are kind, hard-working, fun to spend time with and who care for and look out for each other when we come to the end of our ropes (or when Pharaoah’s revenge hits hard)!

For five years I have taught with Father Michael Calabria and Rita Reichert – we are the co-coordinators of the English program at St. Leo’s. Michael is a Franciscan friar at St. Bonaventure University in Olean, NY and I have the good fortune to see him when I am at home as well as in Egypt. He is a wonderful and trusted colleague who continually models shared leadership with me in front of the students. Their acceptance of me as a pastor of the church is in large part due to the leadership and friendship that Michael models to them.

Rita teaches early childhood special education in Ohio. She is an “includer” at heart and is our unofficial minister of social affairs. Usually it is Rita who organizes our outings, makes arrangements for us and always, always, always is inviting others join in. She is a gift.

Bonny Prudhomme, Dea Hart, Ian Rogers and, last but not least, the-one-who-opens-doors Sr. Pina are my other teaching colleagues. We bring different gifts, different skills and different temperaments to the program, but we work well together.


(From Left to Right: Bonny Prudhomme, Dea Hart, Me, Ian Rogers, Fr. Michael, Rita Reichert)

It really is a blessing to work with such good folks. Tonight we’re off to see the Darwish – the Sufi dancers. It’s been 5 years since I first saw these folks and I still remember it as one of the most transfiguring and spiritual experiences of my life. I’m looking forward to the evening it to say the least!

No comments:

Post a Comment