Wednesday, July 3, 2013

2013:11 - Waiting, Watching and Preparing to Leave


It's been a very full day made more full by the fact that my internet modem ran out of memory. Knowing that we face an uncertain trip home I've spent the last hour trying to get that recharged. Nothing is every easy in Egypt and when you face the hurdle of language the challenges is multiplied. 

I wrote this earlier this morning:

Everyone in Egypt is waiting and watching to see what will happen in the coming hours. The military’s 48-hour ultimatum expires at 4:30 pm this afternoon. Morsy continues to maintain that he is the legitimate, democratically-elected president of Egypt. His assertions that protesters are from the former Mubarak regime is ridiculous. Millions of ordinary Egyptians of all ages from across the country have come out over the last week to demonstrate against the action and inaction of the current government.

At some point between now and 5:00 am tomorrow morning I will make my way to the airport with my colleagues. We’re waiting to see how the situation unfolds to determine when we leave. There is a chance we will have to spend the night or at least many hours at the Cairo airport.


I ask for your continued prayers for peace, security, justice and opportunity for all Egyptians and a non-violent unfolding of whatever will happen in the coming hours and days. Pray also for the seminarians who will be making their way from Cairo to their homes in the coming days. Finally, I ask your prayers for safe and uneventful travel for my colleagues and me.

Current news:

I've heard Morsy has been placed under house arrest. I don't know any more because I haven't had time to read the news.

Now that I have internet access I'll try to provide an update once we get to the airport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment