Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Revolution

25 January (as Egypt’s revolution is known here) has changed the landscape of Egypt, but not in the expected ways. To walk down the streets of Ma’adi you wouldn’t know that 5 months ago my students were keeping vigil at night on local streets to protect their neighborhood. Except for the Egyptian flags hanging from houses and the stripes of red, white and black painted everywhere, there is little evidence of a change in this land. But it doesn’t take long in discussion with my students to hear how a revolution has changed them and their perspectives.

This is evident in small ways from a new desire to understand current events, to learn about governments and discuss freedom. But it is also evident in large ways. One of my students has been transformed by 25 January. Two years ago he was one of the angriest and most obstinate students when we tried to introduce students to their own Egyptian history and culture through field trips to museums. He had no time for Egyptian history – not even his own Coptic history. He saw no purpose in any of it and participated only in a grudging manner.

In conversations with me other teachers it is clear that he has a new outlook. In his words to my colleague Michael, “25 January and the revolution was the first time in my life that I feel like I am an Egyptian. I understand now why you have tried to teach us about our history and our culture. Before I could not accept this because I did not think it was mine. But now I am Egyptian and this is my history.” It’s hard to describe what a sea change this is for this student.

In another conversation he related to me that he now understands that one of the great challenges that he will face as a priest in a new Egypt is how to work with and relate to young people. “They have said no to the authority of the government. They no longer want to accept the authority of the church. How will I be a priest? I used to think that the greatest challenge I would face is celibacy. No more. The greatest challenge I will face is how to relate to young people.”

The desert still spreads from here to the Atlantic and sand still covers unknown treasures. But the peaceful revolution that unfolded in Tahrir Square over 18 days in January and February has just begin to change the landscape of this land and the lives of Egyptians who are building their new future.

1 comment:

  1. It's helpful and fascinating for me to hear your perspective (and through you, the perspective of your students) on the events which I would otherwise know only from news reports. So thank you for sharing these insights.

    ReplyDelete