Saturday, June 8, 2013

2013:1 - Welcome to Egypt!

These are the words you inevitably here when visiting tourist sights around Egypt. “Welcome to Egypt” are considered the polite precursor to “Do you need a taxi?” “Come and look in my shop.” I heard them before I had reached baggage claim today.

They are also the shorthand people use when they want to explain why things are the way they are. “Welcome to Egypt” people say with a shrug of their shoulders with the unspoken “that’s just the ways things are done around here” implied.  

Flying Egyptair from New York City to Cairo is a “Welcome to Egypt” experience. If you’ve never been to Egypt the flight will give you a foretaste of what’s to come. If, like me, you have a strong familiarity with Egypt, a flight on Egyptair will remind you of what awaits you at the other end of your journey, in case you’ve forgotten.

“Welcome to Egypt” was my thought as I watched the people surge the lines at JFK to board the plane. It didn't matter what rows were called, Egyptians just smash together and see who gets through the funnel first.

“Welcome to Egypt” was my thought on the plane as standards and aviation rules that I’ve grown accustomed to – like turn off your electronic devices, please stow all carry on bags, please have your chair in the upright and locked position – seemed more like suggestions than hard and fast rules.


“Welcome to Egypt” were the first words out of my mouth as I walked down Road 9 today to see what had changed. As I approached a brand new hotdog cart I noticed three cans marked “Plastic” “Trash” “Recycling.” Unheard of! And then I looked down, garbage strewn all around on the ground as though no receptacles even existed. “Welcome to Egypt.” I said to myself with a knowing nod. I guess I’ve arrived!

No comments:

Post a Comment