Tuesday, June 18, 2013

2013:5 - New Words

Yesterday at lunch there was quite the conversation going back and forth between Atef and Sameh. The seminarians were scheduled to play football (soccer) after study hall and there’s nothing that spurs more conversation at the seminary than football. Sameh is the leader of sports for the summer course and since his team has won every game so far I’ve been joking with him that he’s stacked the teams in his favor and is paying the referee a little something on the side. Atef and Sameh are two of the best players and are on the same team but yesterday Atef said he would play for the other team.

At lunch they sat at opposite ends of the table with me in the middle and traded insults about the other’s lack of skills and lack of teamwork. As I listened back and forth I taught them a new phrase: “talking smack” and gave them multiple examples of how talking smack happens in my parents house to this day among my siblings.


Atef loves his new phrase!

1 comment: