Monday, June 10, 2013

2013:2 - Thy Kingdom Come

Sunday morning after my breakfast I walked along Road 9 to do some shopping. As I walked along a familiar stretch of sidewalk a young boy, maybe 12 years old, sat on the edge of the sidewalk and watched me approach. As I walked by he spoke, just loud enough for me to hear, “Go to hell. Go to hell. Go to hell. Go to hell ...”

I was not threatened. He was not going to hurt me. I am not in an unsafe situation. More than anything his words were heartbreaking. I have always known and experienced Egyptians as the kindest and most hospitable people. For years I have been welcomed by friends and strangers wherever I go. I have been protected and guided by strangers as I’ve tried to cross the road through Cairo’s infamous traffic. On the Metro, strangers have greeted me and invited me to dinner at their home. The words of this boy were a stark reminder of how much things have changed in Egypt in just two years.

His was a voice of pure contempt. This was a quiet cry of a child longing for justice in a country that has become even more unjust and more inhospitable to its own people. The curse of a boy to a passing stranger was a cry for the Christ’s blessed kingdom to be known in this place. This boy saw me as he would see any of you, as one of the powerful who benefits from this injustice and seeks to keep hold of the power and wealth that we have.

Every year when I come to Egypt I am reminded of just how unfair this world is. As an American, I have been given abundant opportunities, a good education, the freedom to study where I want and learn anything I choose. I can work and earn a living that allows me to travel, to live in a house, to drive a car, to have access to technology and comforts that make my life easy. While I may bemoan the ineffectiveness of our government, I do not worry that the police will not come when I call, I consider it a given that when I flip the switch the electrical currents will flow, I don’t live in fear that the faith I confess will one day lead to my death. For my friends in Egypt, none of these things is a given. I am no more deserving or hard working than my students. I simply benefit from having ancestors who were given the opportunity to come to American and build a life for themselves, an opportunity most Egyptians would gladly take if offered to them.  


Every day since 25 January 2011, I have prayed for peace, justice and security for ALL Egyptians. The quiet words of this boy remind me of how much more must be accomplished before my prayer is answered and Christ’s blessed kingdom comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment