Wednesday, June 10, 2015

2015:2 - Home

I’m on Day 5 of my Egypt adventure and if I’ve been quiet it’s because my days have been full since arriving on Saturday. Sunday included a visit to the Ibn Tulun and Sultan Hossan mosques with my colleagues Rita and Linda. (Check out my Amy In Egypt

Sultan Hassan Mosque
Facebook to read about the beautiful experience we had at the Sultan Hossan Mosque.)

I had a full teaching schedule on Monday and Tuesday and a half morning on Wednesday. In addition, I’ve preached the morning meditation in mass each morning and will do so for at least the next week. This morning is the first opportunity I’ve had to walk to my favorite coffee shop, order a cappuccino and sit, relax and begin to reflect on my return to Egypt after a nearly two-year absence.

I have enjoyed starting to know many new students. Because I was not here last year, there are two years worth of students – 12 out of a total of 20 or so - that are new to me. They are eager to learn and full of questions. Their curiosity brings a lot of energy and interest to class and makes meal times fun and engaging.

Last night after dinner, the students watched an animated movie called, “Home.” I did not watch it because I was in desperate need of sleep. So in class this morning I asked my students about the movie. I asked them what the idea of home was in the movie and then I asked them to tell me their idea of home. When they were finished talking one of my students turned the question on me: “What is your idea of home, Pastor Amy?”

I talked about my home being Minnesota, the place where I was born and grew up, where I went to college and met Hans and where my family still lives. I talked about home being anyplace where I am able to be with Hans. Finally, I said, home is also the place where I am able to be with my family and friends and the people I love, no matter where I am. So for me, Egypt is also home, even while I am away from my other homes.

I hope that wherever you are today that you are feeling like you are also home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment