Friday, June 19, 2015

2015:4 - Mary

Statue of Mary in the Dining Courtyard

I’ve always been a fan of Mary, but after eight summers of praying Mary’s song each day at Evening Prayer, eight summers of seeing Mary’s outstretched hands beckon to me and eight summers of gazing on Mary in icon form, a new respect and devotion is growing in me.

With apologies to my Catholic friends, I’m not sure that I’ll ever be able to say the words of “Hail Mary” without my eyes rolling. My Lutheran conviction that I don’t need anyone to intercede on my behalf is too strong. And yet, Mary’s “yes” to God’s call and her song of praise to God’s mighty deeds each day becomes a more powerful word of grace in my life.

Icon of Mary and Jesus in Chapel
Last Thursday after we had watched the movie Romero, I made my way with the students to the chapel before dinner for Evening Prayer. As I pondered Romero’s martyrdom in the fight for justice, I spoke Mary’s Magnificat while her eyes looked at me from my seat in front of her icon.

I acclaim the greatness of the Lord,
I delight in God my savior,
who regarded my humble state.
Truly from this day on
all ages will call me blest.

For God, wonderful in power,
has used that strength for me.
Holy the name of the Lord!
whose mercy embraces the faithful,
one generation to the next.

The mighty arm of God
scatters the proud in their conceit,
pulls tyrants from their thrones,
and raises up the humble.
The Lord fills the starving
and lets the rich go hungry.

God rescues lowly Israel,
recalling the promise of mercy,
the promise made to our ancestors,
to Abraham’s heirs for ever.

In that moment I was overwhelmed with emotion. Tears flowed from my eyes. Mary’s song give voice to the faith that God is rescuing us even now though we cannot always see how and calling  people like Mary, or Romero, or even me, to make God’s mercy and justice known.


In this world we live in where environmental destruction continues, innocent people are slaughtered and children starve, Mary’s song convicts me even as it calls me to add my “yes” – in words and deeds – to hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment