Monday, June 1, 2015

2015:1 Prayers


(Candles representing prayers from a church in Coptic Cairo, July 2013). 

In the last few days, I've been with people who know of my history of travel in Egypt. Their words have been surprisingly consistent. The conversation goes something like this. 


"Are you going to Egypt?" 
"Yep!"
"When do you leave? And how long will you be gone?"
"I leave on Friday and I'll be gone through July 2." 

And then inevitably some variation of these words, "I'll be praying for you." 

The last time I was in Egypt was two years ago when Egyptians last took to the streets in large numbers and President Mohammed Morsi was deposed. It was a tense and uncertain time. Along with my teaching colleagues, we were trying to figure out the best plan for leaving early or staying through to our scheduled flights. Through all the turmoil, I remained amazing calm and collected. I know prayers sustained and strengthened me through those days. 

I have every expectation that my time in Egypt this summer will be considerably calmer and less eventful than my last visit. Nevertheless, I welcome your prayers ... for me, for my fellow teachers, for my students and the priests at the seminary where I will teach, and for Hans who will remain behind. 

Your prayers sustain me when I'm weary and give me strength when I grow tired of fighting the battles of a patriarchal culture. Your prayers surround me with the care of God's holy angels and keep me safe until I am brought back home. 

Your prayers are a gift. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment