Sunday, June 10, 2018

2018:1 - Changes


The first few days of each year I spend in Egypt inevitably bring about a tabulation of the changes I notice at seminary, on the nearby business streets, and among the people I work with. I noticed myself tracking the changes from the moment I exited the airport terminal. The benefit of being here for a month and then being away for 11, or this year 23 months, means that the day-to-day changes that are often invisible when we are living through them get put into sharp focus. After two years away, the changes, whether mundane or monumental, are hard to ignore.

The monumental includes completely refurbished guest rooms at the seminary, including air conditioners in each guest room! Considering that the daytime temps are hovering around 100 and don't show any signs of breaking anytime soon, this is a most welcome addition that has already greatly increase our comfort and our ability to sleep at night ... once the jet lag subsides.

The more mundane include tracking the change in status of students and priests. Some who have left and have come back. Others who we expected to be present, but are preparing for studies elsewhere in the coming year.

Perhaps most significant are the changes that mark the passing of time ... 11 years since my first trip to Egypt and teaching in the summer course at St. Leo's. Abuna Joseph who met me at the airport, was a first year student that first summer in 2007. He is now an experienced priest who has returned to seminary to work with seminarians in their formation. Other students, from recent years are scheduled to be ordained in the coming weeks and months.

In 2007 the thought that I might be returning to Egypt 11 years later, seemed like a distant dream. But changes, both the monumental and mundane, come day by day. The gift is having been able to engage in the work I do here long enough to note the changes when they come.

For this I am grateful today.

No comments:

Post a Comment