Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Home 2010:17

I arrived home shortly after 11 this morning. Hans had to return to work, so I’ve been trying to keep myself busy to stay awake today. Part of keeping busy meant running some errands like picking up drying cleaning I’d dropped off a month ago.

When I walked into the dry cleaner, the woman who always helps called out my name. “Hi Amy, how are you?” We did our business. It was nice to be remembered after a month away. It’s one of the ways that I know that I’m home.

Here’s the thing, yesterday before I left Cairo I went to the local dry cleaner where I occasionally take clothing that needs a real cleaning (and not just hand washing). I paid for my laundry and then said goodbye. “I’ll see you next summer, in sh’Allah.”

Next June, in sh’Allah, I’ll walk into the dry cleaner to drop off a few things. I’ll receive a warm smile from the beautiful woman who works behind the counter and without missing a beat she’ll take out a slip and write, “Ms. Emy” without asking my name. I know this will happen because for the last three years when I return after my 11 month absence, this is what happens. It’s one of the ways that I know I’m home when I arrive in Cairo as well.

This is one of the small ways, day in and day out, that I experience the fullness of God’s blessing in my life. I hope you know these blessings too.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you may it safely home. Amy, as usual, it has been fun to read about your adventures. Big Bro'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! I, too, have enjoyed and been edified by your reflections and experiences. Thanks again for sharing them! God bless you,
    Sr Emily

    ReplyDelete