Friday, July 2, 2010

Suprised! 2010:12

This morning as I prepared to leave for worship at St. Andrews I experienced a wonderful surprise that is in it's own way an example of the kind of hospitality that I spoke about in my sermon (previous blog post).

Last night a group of seminarians and priests from southern Italy arrived at the seminary for 10 days of study of the Coptic Church. We won't have a lot of contact with them, but they are housed with us so of course we run into them in the seminary.

This morning I was dressed and ready to go to church. I had on a black shirt and a clerical collar. My Egyptian students have grown use to this sight - "my uniform" - they call it and don't bat an eye.

This morning as I left the dining room I realized that I would encounter the seminarians from Italy and I laughed to myself at the thought of how they would respond to "my uniform." Sure enough as they passed me in the hall the students eyes grew big as they saw me. There eyes were drawn to my collar and you could see the questions on their face, but no one said a word.

I'll admit to a certain smugness on my part. Glad to be standing there and challenging their notions of church, calling and ordination. I was laughing inside at their bewildered expressions.

My musings were interrupted by a gentleman who approached me with his hand extended and warmly greeted me. "Where are you from? What's your name?"

I'm Amy. I'm from America.

Anglican? Presbyterian? What?

I'm a Lutheran pastor in America. I'm on my way to preach and lead worship in Cairo.

I'm Luigi. I'm so happy to meet you. I'm here with the seminarians from southern Italy. Will you come and speak to us? We have a student who has excellent English who could translate for you. This would be such a good experience for our students.

And so tentative arrangements were made.

I was not seeking hospitality in the moment. My hands were not empty, my focus was on my own agenda not preparing the way for Christ. And yet, hospitality was extended. I know I shouldn't be, but it was a wonderful, unexpected surprise!

1 comment: