Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Made Visible 2010:15

I sat in a circle Wednesday night at the side of a Coptic Catholic bishop in a circle of Roman Catholics from Italy and Coptic Catholics from Egypt and witnessed the movement of the Holy Spirit. The Italians sang, “O Sole Mio” and “Regina Coeli.” The Copts sang their own spiritual hymns. I sat there amazed to be sitting in this circle, amazed to see the body of Christ in such fullness.

At one point I was asked to speak. I’m old hat to the Egyptians by now (I love that they are showing the way for the Italians in this regard), but to the Italians I am an oddity. I spoke briefly. I was introduced at 9:26 and the World Cup Semi finals began at 9:30 (I’m not stupid. I learned long ago that you don’t separate men from their sports!) so I said very simply: “I will not be the one to keep you from football. I’m honored and humbled to be a part of this gathering. I’m a Lutheran pastor from America. I’m happy to answer any questions you might have. I’m at a loss for words, but it’s clear to me that the Holy Spirit is present in this circle tonight and I believe that the body of Christ is being seen in it’s fullness.”

When all the words had been spoken and the cake had been rolled out and cut, I was approached by a handful of Italians who had dozens of questions. When do we worship? Where do I serve? What is the religious situation in America? Forgive me, but who pays your salary? What do you wear? How often do you celebrate the mass?

The conversation continued and I said again and again, “I think you would find that in many, many ways Lutherans and Catholics have very similar understandings.”

“But you are a women. And we don’t ordain women.”

“Yes. This is one difference. But in many, many ways we are very similar.

“And you are married?”

“Okay, this is another difference. But in many, many ways we are very similar.”

So I guess we DO still have significant differences to overcome, but still by the end of the evening we had exchanged names and contact information and agreed to be facebook friends! Hans and I have an invitation to Southern Italy to visit my new companions.

When the Holy Spirit came at Pentecost, it came like a rush of wind. More often in the book of Acts (as well as my own life) the Spirit comes in whispers and nudges. Tonight I witnessed the Spirit not in a rush or a whisper, but in songs, in questions, in conversation, in curiosity. This too is the Spirit work here in Egypt, and everywhere.

4 comments:

  1. Amy, that brought tears to my eyes. I believe the Holy Spirit often breathes in the music first . . . just long enough to open our eyes to each other. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be happy to carry yours and Han's luggage for you in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! And hooray for the Italians who approached you and were brave enough to ask about the differences. I have often felt frustrated trying to talk to Europeans (largely Catholic Europeans) about Christianity in the States- to convince them that not all Christians are part of the Bible-beatin' Religious Right, and to explain the difference it makes to have female spiritual leaders. I'm glad you were there to represent all of us who look for similarities, rather than find ways to enforce select and non-inclusive points of view!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After offering a prayer during my French host sister's wedding last summer in a Catholic church, I was approached by several people after the service saying how much my prayer had meant to them. I was surprised, since it was a very brief prayer in which I said nothing particularly profound, so I think the effect was more because the prayer was offered by an American woman in a French Catholic setting. I think you are right that often the Spirit moves in those small, not-spectacular moments. Perhaps that is especially true in terms of building relationships and creating greater unity within the body of Christ. What a wonderful witness you have been of that this summer!

    ReplyDelete